Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

so close...

I received the keys to our new house today and shared a bottle of bubbly* with a couple of close friends (in lieu of Best Beloved, who is on a study week away in Sydney) and forgot to take a photo.

It was a lovely feeling, sitting first in the back yard, then on the front step, then sprawled on the carpet of one of the empty rooms, drinking from some gorgeously sturdy French glasses that lovely Sacha gave me as our very first housewarming gift, knowing that this was the place that I was going to be operating from for the next umpteen years. It already felt like home, and there was nothing, nothing of mine in the place, except my son, who was just as delighted as I was.

So... no photo, sorry. I can only really blame myself for dropping my camera out of the car at Christmas time, and for just not thinking about the camera in my iPhone when I really should.

We're still waiting for an offer on the old house... we can't move into the new one until we've exchanged contracts, so I have to be patient, my creatures. At least now I can pop inside & sit on the floor instead of lurking around the cobwebby front garden.


In other, hopefully distracting news, semester has started at art school, and today I met my new booketeers for the first time. They seem a very keen, thoughtful, enthusiastic bunch, which is so cheering. I've also got a couple of exchange students auditing the class, so it's full to capacity, and makes the BookStud a touch snug.


Someone who drops by my studio to play with my press occasionally and travels to England frequently, loaned me a book about Lucien Pissaro (son of Camille), who started a press heavily inspired by the Arts & Craft movement. Which, once I'd looked at it, took me straight to my bookshelf to re-read The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. Delicious, fabulous, mesmerising.

Bumblebee is enjoying year 8 much, much more than year 7. He's doing his first batch of electives, and to my surprise he chose Industrial Tech and Outdoor Ed. In the former he's coming home glowing after using chisels and planes, full of the praise of his dour teacher, having listened to my advice that he needed to focus on the tools rather than his friends. Mind you, this is the *only* class where he applies that focus, which is a pity. I wish all classes had dangerous elements that could cut and maim, maybe kids would do better if they did. The latter class is full of wonderful energetic, limit-pushing confidence-growing activities like sailing, rock-climbing and snorkel-diving. He's so excited. It's perfect for a 14-yo who is discovering how being tall and limber and fast is FUN. Bless him, he's changed so much over the last year or so.

Hmmm, coming down from the champagne. Wish Best Beloved was here to keep up the SQUEEEEEE feeling. Have to wake up early tomorrow to teach the UCan graphic design students. Might be time to snuggle up with the cats (who are going to LOVE their new domain) and read the book.

Good night!




*Our lovely real estate agents gave me a bottle of Moet with the keys, but I'm saving that for our first real night in the house.

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am very very happy for you. It is lovely to be able to explore your new home, though fingers, toes and other bits crossed your current home will sell SOON. Sending lots of good thoughts your way

Mindy said...

Fingers crossed for a nice offer for you soon.

Cat Drawings said...

Fancy you having an athletic child. Goodness. Hope he's keeping up the brain side of things as well.

Mary Bennet said...

Congrats on the new place. How do exchange students "audit" your class? Is it painful?

JahTeh said...

Duckie, you took me back 38 years when I put the fire on and lay down on the brand new carpet in our new house. I still remember the feeling of belonging to this one place, not to mention the smell of newness before all the dogs, cats and kids.

Ampersand Duck said...

It's a lovely feeling, Jahteh. Having furniture in there will be odd but fun.

Mary, they're just sitting in, participating but not for marks. It's nice to have them there because they play without a sense of pressure, and that encourages the others!

Looks like all your finger and other limb crossing might be paying off! Exciting evening ahead, debating between (sudden) offers...

house and lot for sale philippines said...

Congratulations for having your new house.

Deirdre G

Ann ODyne said...

congratulations from me too, but really, I hope the cats are OK with it.

fell over this at MIEN blog and thought of you -
"Mr Smith's Letterpress Workshop - Typography

Kelvyn Laurence Smith runs the well-oiled 'Mr Smith's Letterpress Workshop' in Kennington, London. He is of strong temperament and is chiefly concerned with all things typographic, good practice and quality workmanship. He creates exquisitely crafted contemporary typographic printed matter using traditional wood and metal type. Mr Smith conducts typography classes and publishes limited editions under the banner 'Smith's Rules' that examine the connections between graphic design and letterpress techniques based on historical and cultural principles and the generation of visual ideas.

Kelvyn Smith is mentored by Richard Stevens

Find out more about Kelvyn Smith at www.letterpress-workshop.com