Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

People watching: the hat

Sitting in my studio, looking through old sketchbooks, and came across this on the back page of one:

I was walking behind a man who was walking along a path across a stretch of lawn. The path was a groove worn by countless students short-cutting across the rectangle of grass. About halfway along, the path became muddy and slightly slippery. The man was neatly dressed with a hat. As he felt the ground become less stable, he raised his hand to his hat, and he slowed down. He lifted his hat a couple of inches up over his head and trod very carefully until the ground was less slippery.

1 June 1999


-- Post From My iPhone

3 comments:

BwcaBrownie said...

It's a ducky hatty sort of day since I just left Reeling & Writhing blog where GT is 'Putting Hats On Ducks.

Your note on the man, the path, and the risk not taken, made me think of Hercule Poirot, who would not risk a muddy hat.
and of course I am now pondering the rest of his story - a nervy hatted man in a student place on a mission. I have cast Harrison Ford. He will meet Mary Steenburgen to discuss the education of his heiress orphan niece ... Scout Willis.
I would pitch it to the Coen Bros but they are remaking Rooster Cogburn/True Grit and probably not receptive right now.
Timing is everything.

Keep up the note-taking.

Ampersand Duck said...

heh. I'd forgotten all about The Hat until I saw that page again. It was such a curious sight! Noice casting.

fifi said...

I read this yesterday, and the image popped into my head when I was out that afternoon.

I too saw it as the commenter above did!