Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

The National Folk Festival, 2009

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that not a single person at a folk festival can walk in a straight line. During the day this is because there are children to lunge after, or a hand-made organic fairy-wing stall to meander towards, and in the evening it is because of the vast quantities of stout or mulled wine consumed. I managed to walk from one end of the festival (from the Troubadour mulled wine bar) to the other (the Mary Poppins tribute heats at the Fitzroy pavilion) without spilling a drop of my hot red cupful, and considered it a miracle, mitigated by the fact that it was only my first cupful.

NFF moth

Sigh! another Canberra Autumn, another folk festival. This year I am determined to spend my mornings at my studio, hopefully working on wood engravings (I did this morning!) and the rest of the day at the festival. Usually it is hard to decide what to see when gigs conflict. This year I have decided to follow my bluegrass heart, and see things that I know are either bluegrass, or bluegrass-influenced. Plus the tribute concerts, which are a great way to sample a wide variety of festival acts. So far the stand-out tribute performer has been Anita GEORGE (sorry, got her name wrong for a day or so), who did a smokin', sassy, completely sexual blues rendition of A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down. Phwoar.

Tonight I caught a blackboard performance of Dev'lish Mary, four gorgeous women with talent to burn who are all in other bands but do this on the side when they get the chance. Tomorrow, once I've been to the studio (I know I keep saying this: it's for my benefit, not yours. I have to make sure I actually do it), I'm hoping to attend a bluegrass harmony workshop.

It rained a bit today, and it's meant to rain again later in the weekend. I don't think it's going to put anyone off. It's going to be an ace festival.

4 comments:

Hil said...

Nice to see the bogong moths kicking on 9 years after I made the bodies. Though I did see someone on FB grousing about how uncomfortable they are. Once they came back for repairs after some rats made a home in their tails.

BwcaBrownie said...

... makes me wish I'd been there if the Spoonful number was that good after only one mulled wine ...

It's The Singer, not the song.

Ampersand Duck said...

Hil, you clever thing... that bit about the rats has kept me laughing all day!

BBrownie: I so agree about the singer. It's been proved over and over today.

kris said...

I can recommend Peter Daffy - his voice is amazing and he has bloograss roots (pardon the pun) and his sidekick has a very lovely way with a mandolin!

I have seen him twice this weekend already and will be there again tomorrow!

I also saw the Wise Girls! Amazing stuff!