Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

An open letter to Spammers

Dear spammers

I have hearing from you a lot lately. Some of you are quite open about your intentions, others of you try hard to be inconspicuous in your attempts to winkle money out of me.

I'd just like to tip you off on something. Nearly all of my friends know how to spell, and those who don't aren't regular correspondents, and prefer to use the phone. So I can usually spot your ploys immediately.

I received this lovely one today:

Hello friend !
You have just received a postcard from someone who cares about you!

This is a part of the message:
"Hi there! It has been a long time since I haven't heared about you!
I've just found out about this service from Your WIFE, a friend of mine who also told me that..."

If you'd like to see the rest of the message click here* to receive your animated postcard!


And when you pretend to be a bank or a service like ebay, there's always a telling typo to tip me off, as well as the fact that most of your bank names don't exist.

I'm only mildly cranky about getting so many of your letters, although I'd love to be totally free of them (something I'm working on daily); I'm cranky that there are many people out there who do think you're real, because they don't -- or can't -- spot the problems with your spelling and syntax.

So maybe I should be writing this letter to the Government, to point out that the best tactic against spam is literacy? Spelling as a form of self-defence? It's so crazy it might just work.

Don't say I didn't warn you,

&Duck


* new link provided by me.

No comments: