Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fitting the pieces together

I'm having an extra-busy week this week, being the emergency designer for an Australian art journal. Their last designer has moved on to bigger and better things, and they needed someone to do this month's issue while they find a replacement. I didn't want to apply for the job because it's a combined position, advertising manager and designer. I figure I've got enough jobs in my life at the moment, and I don't want to be stuck in one office ringing up clients about advertisements; however, if they outsourced the layout to me every month I'd do it happily. That would leave me time to make the handset books I've got planned this year. Anyway, I think they've found a replacement.

I've set out many publications in my time: journals, books, brochures, flyers, cards, newsletters, but never a proper magazine. It's fun! Like a big jigsaw. Quite addictive. I forget to have breaks because I'm too busy thinking whether the colours in this ad will clash with the illustration for that article.

The best part of the job is climbing the rainbow stairs to the office, which is up in the clocktower of the art school. We sit underneath the clock, with the windows open looking out onto Canberra. No aircon, just nice clean ACT air.

It's also first week of the art school term; today I get to meet the new printmedia students. I'm doing half a day as Technical Officer, then I have to run up the rainbow stairs (oh, for my camera!) and keep jiggling the pages. And tonight we're going to see Circus Oz! What fun. But what I'm really looking forward to is sleeping in on the weekend.

No comments: