Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Text du jour


Remember!, originally uploaded by Ampersand Duck.

These are the most basic things to remember when playing with letterpress. This blackboard entry has not been touched for a couple of years (along with the magic number 0.918), and nor shall it be while my mind continues to operate like a kitchen thingy with lots of little holes. No one could even accuse my memory of being a steel trap. I blame all that dope in the 80s with a healthy whack of genetic demensia.

Anyway, for anyone who cares, whenever I'm swearing at a proof and wondering why the text has a little white shadow on one side, or is only just grazing the page, I look at the board and try to nut out the problem.

Just in case it is illegible thanks to the original low-res quality of the image, let me lay out the law, just in case you're interested...

Remember!
1. pressure - rollers (inking)
- packing (paper)
2. paper - humidity
- texture
3. viscosity (ink) - too thin
- too thick

Considering any combination of those factors saves my arse every time. A bit of press tinkering, and all usually runs smoothly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is demensia when you don't have 'the curse'?

x
x
Steev